The first few days at home

I'm home!! I'm sore.. I'm tired.. I'm hungry..did I mention I'm sore? I knew I was in for a lot when I got home but my Mom and Brent made things pretty darn easy. I didnt have to cook, do dishes, clean the house, I didn't even have to shower.. Now that I look back, that sounds kind of nice! It really does drive you, if you will, bat shit crazy just sitting there with not much to do. I'm a busy body, I don't like to just sit around but I didn't have much of a choice. Most of the first days I was just sleeping. Sleep, eat, take pain meds and sleep again. Every 4 hours I would set an alarm to get up and take pain meds so I could stay ahead of the pain. About 4 days after surgery I just hated feeling so groggy. I tried taking Norco instead of my Percocet which was supposed to not be as strong. That day all I wanted was orange juice. I drank it down and not 5 minutes later, the toilet bowl claimed my sweet OJ. Now let me tell you, chest pain and throwing up is not so nice. It was miserable! I learned those pain pills weren't going to work for me. 5 days after I was ok just taking Motrin during the day and took Percocet before bed. Motrin is supposedly better for pain than tylenol due to the inflammation. I wasn't able to shower for a week. Get out your wet wipes and give yourself a trucker bath! I went through a pack of wipes pretty quickly. I literally was wiping my arms, my legs, my neck, really anything that could be wiped, it was! I had a good friend make a care package for me that had some dry shampoo in there... All I can say, thank the Lord for dry shampoo!!!
I had about 5 days of not washing my hair and I just couldn't handle it anymore. I'm not one to really care too much what I look like but damn, that's a long time! So we made a make shift beauty parlor. My hubs got me a ladder, I crawled up on the counter, they propped me up with pillows (you aren't allowed to lay flat) and I leaned back and had myself a spa night. It really did feel so so good. I could of laid there for an hour. Oops, I forgot to tip you Mom!
My boys took good care of me too. They were very gentle and eager to help if I needed anything! I got a foot rub (for about 10 seconds) very relaxing, and I had my own personal doctor who would take my blood pressure, listen to my heart and for some reason loved to give me shots. I think I got about 30 in one day. Yikes! He was cute though so I didn't mind too much!

Everyday little by little you start to feel better, a little less sore and a little bit more eager to do things for yourself. I learned my lesson quick. A week after I really overdid it. Cleaned the house as well as I could, went to my boys Christmas program and then out to dinner. The next day was a nice reminder of why to not do that again. About a week and a half after surgery I was slowly getting back in the swing of things. Folding laundry was my first task (besides just picking up things here and there). It felt nice to do things for myself but laundry? Really? Can I do something more exciting? 

No comments:

Post a Comment