The start of it all

" Brca 1 and Brca 2 are human genes that produces tumor suppressor proteins. These proteins help repair damaged DNA and, therefore, play a role in ensuring the stability of the cell's genetic material. When either of these genes is mutated , or altered, such that it's protein product either is not made or or does not function correctly, DNA damage may not be repaired properly. As a result, cell's are more likely to develop additional genetic alterations that can lead to cancer" cancer.org

After my Aunt got her stage 3 ovarian cancer diagnosis our whole family was in shock. We have all been so lucky and blessed with good health that this was really something to take in. After what seems like hell she went through, 10 years later, I am happy to say she is healthy, happy and beautiful! She is a trooper! Through her treatments she also found out she was postive for the Brca gene, which she opted for a prophylactic mastectomy as well. Later my Dad was tested and found he was also a carrier. My Aunt was very vocal about wanting me to get tested but said it would be best waiting until I am done having children. After two healthy, rambunctious boys we were DONE! Like let's go get you snipped husband kind of done! Obviously my Brca test didn't turn out the way I wanted it to or I wouldn't be writing about it! I knew I wanted to take prevenative measure but was on a mission to wait a couple years to do a double mastectomy. Unfortunately, one of my Brca positive friends found out she had stage 2 breast cancer at 29. At that point I said, just take 'em out! It was a little too close to home and really made me realize there is no point to wait. My doctor had told me, "I will be honest, it's usually not IF you're going to get breast/ovarian cancer, it's WHEN you will get it. Again, Take 'em! It could take my risk from up to 60-87% to a 2-5%. Years ago I worked for a plastic surgeon and have seen way too many cases of breast cancer. All of the physical and emotional hardships those women have to battle, it truly is heart wrenching. If I am at a lot higher risk and can prevent that, why wouldn't I? I'm 30 years old and have 2 boys I would do anything to stay around for. Now I know I'm not in the clear for not ever getting cancer anywhere else in my body, but doing this prophylactic mastectomy will at least put my mind to ease. I was fortunate enough to know both of my surgeons prior to this. It's important to feel comfortable with your doctors. It really is an intimate thing. My breast surgeon was one of the most genuine, caring women I have met. She's the best, I absolutely love her! I could not have hand picked a better one if I tried. My plastic surgeon is amazing at what he does. I have seen plenty of his work and literally said "do whatever you think, I trust you completely". He was great! Both were so honest and compassionate. I have heard nothing but great things about them both every time anyone asked who was doing my surgery. I was very lucky! I am hoping this blog will help anyone thinking about doing this or if someone knows anyone with the Brca gene an honest and positive outlook on prevenative surgery. It is one of the most difficult decisions to make but hopefully this can make it easier on at least one person. This is my first blog ever, go easy on me!

4 comments:

  1. I asked about getting tested a few years ago and they said insurance won't pay if you have no family history. Do you know otherwise to this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is right, if there is no family history Unfortunately insurance won't cover it. I hope that will change!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for sharing your story Morgan. I tested positive for both BRCA I & II. I had a laproscopic hysterectomy 15 days ago and a bilateral mastectomy 5 days ago. My biggest pain are the draining tubes. They are so uncomfortable and inconvenient.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I am currently in the process of scheduling this. My mom was diagnosed at age 38 with breast cancer and died at 43. My sister was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer at age 36. Both my sister and I carry the gene mutation. Your blog contained just what I needed to know and expect. It is always good to read others' stories.

    ReplyDelete